Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
If you can’t decide what your body needs the most . . . . hold your breath . . . . it will come to you!
Oxygen is the giver of life. With each breath we take, 21% of the air we breathe is a new supply of oxygen entering our bodies. The oxygen enters our lungs, where it attaches to our red blood cells (RBCs). Then, it is the job of the RBCs to transport the oxygen to all of the cells in our body. Our body uses the oxygen to grow, repair itself, and to defend itself against disease and destruction. Oxygen is the fuel the cells use to metabolize glucose, and thus create energy for the body to use.
Hyperbaric oxygen is basically oxygen delivered under pressure. “Hyper” means increased, and “baric” relates to pressure. A hyperbaric oxygen chamber is a sealed chamber, into which oxygen is pumped under a controlled amount of pressure. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy allows you to breathe up to more than 4 times the normal amount of oxygen while you are in the pressurized chamber, thereby greatly increasing the oxygenation of all of your organs, tissues, and body fluids.
It is the pressure of the chamber that allows for the increased absorption of the oxygen provided. Breathing 100% pure oxygen outside the chamber will not significantly increase your oxygen uptake by the cells at all. When you are in the chamber, the increased pressure causes the blood plasma and other liquids of the body to absorb much larger quantities of oxygen, greatly increasing oxygen uptake by the cells, tissues, glands, organs, brain and all fluids of the body. This becomes a “goldmine” of oxygen, which can then be utilized by the body for all of its vital functions.
The benefits of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy are:
- Facilitates the growth of new blood vessels, enabling the transport of additional blood.
- Increase by eight-fold, the number of circulating stem cells throughout the body.
- Assists in healing by raising tissue oxygen levels to normal in areas where they are reduced through illness or injury.
- Augments the body’s natural defense mechanisms to fight infection and kill bacteria.
- Helps reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Neutralizes toxic products in the brain.
- Scavenges free radicals and promotes internal cleansing of debris.
- Helps impaired organs to function better.
Research has shown that Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy may also have a number of helpful effects when it is used alongside cancer treatments. Many of these effects are still being researched. They include:
- Reduce cancer growth.
- Improve the delivery of chemotherapy drugs to the tumor.
- Result in an increase in the body’s own stem cells, which are blood cells at the earliest stage of development in the bone marrow, because Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy can increase stem cells, it may have a role in stem cell transplantation, which is a treatment used in hematological cancers.
Schedule an Appointment
To arrange for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy or to learn more about how this therapy can benefit you, contact Natural Horizons Wellness Centers at (877)-292-1571.