Without "appropriate" stress, we would not adapt to our environment and would not survive. However, prolonged or severe stress is extremely detrimental and can be a contributing factor in many diseases from back pain to asthma to intestinal disorders to cancer.
Stress can be described as physical, emotional or spiritual. While most people equate stress with emotional issues or a spiritual crisis, physical stress is often overlooked.
Examples of physical stress include infectious agents such as viruses, lack of adequate sleep and rest and over consumption of foods such as sugar, artificial sweeteners and processed food. One can of soda (approximately 10 teaspoons of sugar) suppresses Natural Killer cells, which fight infection by 33% for 24 hours.
Stress depletes the body of vitamins especially Vitamins B and C and causes your immune system and hormonal system to become compromised. This causes many imbalances, which ultimately result in illness.
- How do I schedule an initial appointment at Natural Horizons?
Natural Horizons’ highly trained medical and administrative staff is ready to help you. Simply call us to schedule a convenient time for your initial appointment. Our business hours are:
Monday – Friday: 8AM until 5PM
Saturday: 9AM until 12 Noon on most Saturdays
• Toll Free: (877) 292-1571
• Fax: (703) 267-6977
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Improves overall physical and mental health.
- Helps people be more effective in all that they do.
- Improves one's ability to relate to others.
Effective Ways to Deal with Stress
- AVOID BAD SUGARS. Sugar is a serious stressor to our immune system and our hormonal systems. Reducing or eliminating sugar intake is one of the easiest and fastest ways to lower stress.
- TAKE MULTIVITAMIN/MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS, preferably derived from whole food. Many Americans do not get even the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowances) of most nutrients. Without the proper nutrients, we cannot rebuild and repair our immune system and our organs and glands.
- EXERCISE! While jogging and running can be helpful for some people, for others it puts too much stress on their bodies. Gentle exercise such as bouncing on a trampoline or walking is all some people need. A mini- trampoline (also known as a rebounder) can be extremely effective in assisting circulation of your lymph system and thus your immune system. Everyone should determine which activities are the most appropriate for them and continue them regularly.
- FLOWER ESSENCES have proven to reduce stress and are widely available in health food stores and on line. One example is Bach's Rescue Remedy, which is useful for general stress, trauma, grief or shock. Just a few drops as often as needed can be very effective and safe for pets, children and the elderly. Flower essences will never interfere with drugs or other supplements and are not addictive.
- SPIRITUAL PRACTICE. Many people of all faiths throughout the world find comfort and stress relief via prayer and meditation. Practicing just several minutes a day can go a long way toward eliminating stress and calming the soul.
- HOBBIES AND OTHER ACTIVITIES are very helpful in reducing stress. Engaging yourself in virtually any healthy activity will help decrease stress.
Stress reduction is very important as it can prevent or eliminate a variety of related health problems from slight to catastrophic, from mental to physical.
Schedule an Appointment
To arrange to meet with naturopathic practitioners who can help you eliminate stress, or to learn more about how you can reduce stress in your life, contact Natural Horizons Wellness Centers at 1-877-292-1571.