Despite a national obsession with losing weight, the United States has become an obese nation with approximately one third of the population overweight. Childhood obesity continues to skyrocket.
As a result, we have an ever-increasing number of obese adults and health problems that relate directly to obesity including hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, respiratory issues and several forms of cancer (breast, uterine, colon, rectal).
Resolving obesity can be quite complex with multiple factors involved. Focusing solely on weight loss does not mean an increase in health so health improvement must precede weight loss for the best long-term results.
- How do I schedule an initial appointment at Natural Horizons?
Natural Horizons’ highly trained medical and administrative staff is ready to help you. Simply call us to schedule a convenient time for your initial appointment. Our business hours are:
Monday – Friday: 8AM until 5PM
Saturday: 9AM until 12 Noon on most Saturdays
• Toll Free: (877) 292-1571
• Fax: (703) 267-6977
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- What types of doctors/practitioners make up the team at Natural Horizons Wellness Centers?
Our team at Natural Horizons Wellness Centers includes:
• Biologic Dentists (DMDs and DDSs)
• Medical Doctors (MDs)
• Holistic MDs
• Naturopaths (NDs)
• Acupuncturists (L.Ac.)
• Chiropractors (DCs)
• Colon Hydrotherapists
• Massage Therapists
Factors that Affect Obesity
- Food and eating habits are often an issue. How much, how often, and when and what is eaten are to be considered. Diets must focus on eliminating processed foods, refined carbohydrates (junk food, sugars, non-organic, and trans fats) while increasing fiber intake and whole foods, which contain a full spectrum of nutrients. In addition to adding excess weight directly, bad sugars can affect insulin levels, which then affect weight. Sugars must be minimized or eliminated from our diets in order to lose weight and become healthier, both physically and mentally.
- Cultural, lifestyle, and environmental factors can play a part in obesity.
- Allergies (see Allergy Elimination Technique) and nutritional deficiencies can play significant roles in obesity.
- Metabolism, exercise, and genetic factors must be considered. Metabolic type (how the body uses and produces energy) must be determined to develop a successful weight loss plan. What and when foods are eaten, and the condition of the thyroid will determine your weight to a large extent, as can genetic factors and exercise. A faster metabolism and a normal thyroid functioning must be achieved to return to the healthiest weight.
- The body's ability to access fat for energy will determine how easily your body loses fat and keeps it off. Toxins in fat (fat is a storage depot for most toxins) play a role in the body's ability to access fat and burn up calories/energy.
- High insulin levels in the blood determine what sugar is stored and what fat is produced. It throws off all hormonal balance thus affecting water retention, type of cholesterol produced, thyroid function, neurotransmitters, and hunger cravings. Normalizing insulin with diet and supplements, normalizing thyroid and adrenal function, and exercise to improve metabolism are critical to successful weight loss.
Diets that only restricti caloric intake fail as weight comes back after the diet ends since the body wants to protect itself from self-imposed starvation. The most effective plans consist of eating healthy foods, increasing metabolism and fat burning, eliminating food allergies and eliminating the psychological factors that trigger the excessive eating of unhealthy food.
Certain nutrient supplements are critical to losing weight in an effective and healthy way. These include chromium for sugar and fat metabolism, zinc for insulin effectiveness, vitamins C, E, B3, B6, biotin, essential fatty acids (flax and/or primrose) and amino acids.
Detoxification is critical for weight loss not only to speed metabolism but to increase the efficiency of our hormone and nervous system and to reduce water retention. Detoxification includes utilizing supplements (garlic, chlorella), saunas, detoxification pads, colon hydrotherapy, skin brushing, increasing water intake and Epsom salt baths.
Other therapies and health specialties to improve weight loss and thus overall health include herbal therapy, Ayurvedic medicine, acupuncture, Naturopathic medicine, allergy elimination and juice therapy.
Schedule an Appointment
To arrange for natural treatment of obesity, or to learn more about obesity and the things that promote it, contact Natural Horizons Wellness Centers at 1-877-292-1571.