What Is Low-Intensity Laser Therapy (LILT)?
Low-intensity laser treatment (LILT) is a revolutionary treatment for chronic pain and injuries, harnessing the focused power of light to accelerate the healing of damaged tissues deep inside the body. When the light comes into contact with damaged cells, the cells react by regenerating, reviving and healing.
The Benefits of LILT
Laser therapy effectively repairs the underlying damage that causes pain instead of masking the symptoms. By healing the actual damage, patients are liberated from long-term painkiller usage and can return to an active lifestyle faster — often without surgical intervention. This makes it an incredibly cost-effective and efficient form of health care that is also:
- Non-invasive and non-toxic
- Comfortable and provides natural pain relief
- Free of side effects
How Does Low-Intensity Laser Treatment Work?
The process of using light to generate healing, growth and metabolism is nothing new — plants do it every day to create energy from sunlight. Today, scientists know that infrared laser light can have the same effect to injured human tissues.
The specific wavelength of light used during low-intensity laser therapy penetrates into the body’s tissues without generating heat. It does, however, activate the metabolism inside damaged cells. Light-sensitive molecules inside of a cell’s mitochondria spur the production of several substances responsible for regeneration, healing and metabolism including: adenosine triphosphate (ATP), several proteins, and ribonucleic acid (RNA). The light also reduces inflammation, boosts circulation and improves the cell’s ability to use oxygen and nutrients to repair itself.
While all of this is happening inside the body, the patient is lying or sitting comfortably in one of our relaxing treatment rooms while we gently rub the smooth infrared-emitting light probe over the affected area.
What Injuries and Conditions Can LILT Alleviate?
Because laser therapy acts by healing and regenerating tissues inside the body without any invasive procedures or drug therapies, it can successfully treat a wide variety of injuries and conditions including:
- Sprains and Strains — Injuries to the muscles, tendons and ligaments respond very well to laser therapy. It stimulates endorphin release (your body’s own painkillers) and repairs overworked, overstretched and torn tissues.
- Fractures — Hairline stress fractures in the bone mend more quickly with laser stimulation.
- Facet Joint Syndrome — If the cartilage cushioning the spinal facet joints deteriorates, vertebrae grate against one another and can pinch nerves. Combining LILT and chiropractic care has been very successful at relieving the resulting back pain and improving spinal flexibility and mobility.
- Bulging and Herniated Discs — Laser therapy can also help repair and regenerate damaged intervertebral discs to alleviate back pain and pain that radiates into the arms and legs. Laser therapy and chiropractic care are an effective combination for treating injured discs.
- Bruises — Laser therapy stimulates the dilation of smaller blood vessels surrounding the bruise, helping to usher fluids and swelling effectively from the bruised area to accelerate healing.
Laser Therapy at Natural Horizons Wellness Centers
The caring team at Natural Horizons Wellness Centers will work personally with you to find a holistic and integrative treatment path that alleviates the root causes of your pain, not just the symptoms. Meet with us to find out if low-intensity laser therapy is a good option for you: Schedule an appointment for a consultation today by calling toll-free: 1-855-254-5426. We look forward to hearing from you.
Resources in Our Laser Therapy Library
- How can low-intensity laser therapy help with pain?
Low-intensity laser therapy is a non-invasive approach designed to help manage pain by healing the cause of the pain at its source. For example, pain in the leg with tingling and numbness usually stems from the lower back. We would apply LILT to the lower back to “fix” the problem at the source of the injury.
- Are there any side effects to low-intensity laser therapy?To date, there are no known side effects to low-intensity laser therapy. The healing powers of light are all positive and there is no harmful radiation involved. Each individual being treated is thoroughly examined before deciding if low-intensity laser therapy will be helpful to their healing process.
- How will low-intensity laser therapy help target the source of the pain?
Low-intensity laser therapy helps the injured area heal at a faster rate. It does this by stimulating the inured cells in the area to metabolize faster, thereby creating a greater immune response in the injured area. Greater healing response equals faster healing times and complete healing, rather than just controlling symptoms the way pain medication does.