Despite a national obsession with losing weight, the United States has become an obese nation with approximately one third of the population overweight. Childhood obesity continues to skyrocket. As a result, an ever-increasing number of adults suffer from health problems directly related to obesity, including hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, respiratory issues and several forms of cancer.
Resolving obesity can be quite complex with multiple factors involved. Focusing solely on weight loss does not mean an increase in health so health improvement must precede weight loss for the best long-term results.
- What should I bring to my first appointment?
Please bring all recent medical records, including lab work, test results, x-rays, scans, and any other information relevant to your condition.
If you have downloaded our Patient Intake Form, or received it by mail, please fill it out completely and bring it with you to your first appointment.
If you have not received the Patient Intake Form, please arrive approximately 20 minutes prior to your appointment, so that you will have ample time to fill it out prior to seeing your doctor.
- What should I expect at my first appointment?
In most cases, one doctor will perform your initial intake. After the doctor has seen you, he/she may refer you to another doctor for additional intake and/or testing, or begin the therapy indicated by the diagnostic testing.
Your initial appointment should take between one and two hours. At the conclusion of your initial appointment, the doctor will devise a treatment plan and will go over it in detail with you.
- What conditions and illnesses do you treat?
This is a partial list of the health issues we treat:
• Alzheimer’s Disease
• Back and Neck Pain
• Gastrointestinal Disorders
• Heart Disease
• Heavy Metal Toxicity
• High Blood Pressure
• Hormone Imbalances
• Hypothyroid Infections
• Infections of all types
• Lyme’s Disease
• Multiple Sclerosis (M.S.)
• Orthodontic Issues
• Premenstrual Syndrome (P.M.S.)
• Tooth Pain
• TMJ Pain
- What types of doctors/practitioners make up the team at Natural Horizons Wellness Centers?
Our team at Natural Horizons Wellness Centers includes:
• Biologic Dentists (DMDs and DDSs)
• Medical Doctors (MDs)
• Holistic MDs
• Naturopaths (NDs)
• Acupuncturists (L.Ac.)
• Chiropractors (DCs)
• Colon Hydrotherapists
• Massage Therapists
- How do I schedule an initial appointment at Natural Horizons?
Natural Horizons’ highly trained medical and administrative staff is ready to help you. Simply call us to schedule a convenient time for your initial appointment. Our business hours are:
Monday – Friday: 8AM until 5PM
Saturday: 9AM until 12 Noon on most Saturdays
• Toll Free: (877) 292-1571
• Fax: (703) 267-6977
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Factors that Affect Obesity
- Food and eating habits are often an issue. How much, how often, and when and what is eaten are to be considered. Diets must focus on eliminating processed foods, refined carbohydrates (junk food, sugars, non-organic, and trans fats) while increasing fiber intake and whole foods, which contain a full spectrum of nutrients. In addition to adding excess weight directly, bad sugars can affect insulin levels, which then affect weight. Sugars must be minimized or eliminated from our diets in order to lose weight and become healthier, both physically and mentally.
- Cultural, lifestyle, and environmental factors can play a part in obesity.
- Allergies (see Allergy Elimination Technique) and nutritional deficiencies can play significant roles in obesity.
- Metabolism, exercise, and genetic factors must be considered. Metabolic type (how the body uses and produces energy) must be determined to develop a successful weight loss plan. What and when foods are eaten, and the condition of the thyroid will determine your weight to a large extent, as can genetic factors and exercise. A faster metabolism and a normal thyroid functioning must be achieved to return to the healthiest weight.
- The body's ability to access fat for energy will determine how easily your body loses fat and keeps it off. Toxins in fat (fat is a storage depot for most toxins) play a role in the body's ability to access fat and burn up calories/energy.
- High insulin levels in the blood determine what sugar is stored and what fat is produced. It throws off all hormonal balance thus affecting water retention, type of cholesterol produced, thyroid function, neurotransmitters, and hunger cravings. Normalizing insulin with diet and supplements, normalizing thyroid and adrenal function, and exercise to improve metabolism are critical to successful weight loss.
Diets that only restricti caloric intake fail as weight comes back after the diet ends since the body wants to protect itself from self-imposed starvation. The most effective plans consist of eating healthy foods, increasing metabolism and fat burning, eliminating food allergies and eliminating the psychological factors that trigger the excessive eating of unhealthy food.
Certain nutrient supplements are critical to losing weight in an effective and healthy way. These include chromium for sugar and fat metabolism, zinc for insulin effectiveness, vitamins C, E, B3, B6, biotin, essential fatty acids (flax and/or primrose) and amino acids.
Detoxification is critical for weight loss not only to speed metabolism but to increase the efficiency of our hormone and nervous system and to reduce water retention. Detoxification includes utilizing supplements (garlic, chlorella), saunas, detoxification pads, colon hydrotherapy, skin brushing, increasing water intake and Epsom salt baths.
Other therapies and health specialties to improve weight loss and thus overall health include herbal therapy, Ayurvedic medicine, acupuncture, Naturopathic medicine, allergy elimination and juice therapy.
Schedule an Appointment
To arrange for natural treatment of obesity, or to learn more about obesity and the things that promote it, contact Natural Horizons Wellness Centers at 1-877-292-1571.