Far Infrared Sauna Offers Best Detox, Weight Loss and Alternative Cancer Therapy
The sun is the primary source of radiant energy, but not all of this energy is beneficial. Although life needs energy from the sun, too much sunlight damages the skin. Far infrared heat provides all the healthy benefits of natural sunlight without any of the dangerous effects of solar radiation. To understand infrared heat, picture yourself outdoors on a summer day with the sun beaming overhead. Your body feels warm from the sun and you become hot. Then a cloud passes overhead, blocking out the sun. The temperature outside has not changed, but you feel cooler in the shade. The sun's infrared rays were heating your body. So how does this aide in your quest for health?
Use of an Infrared Sauna has many health benefits such as:
- Skin rejuvenation. The skin is the largest organ of the body and a major eliminating channel. In most people, it is inactive, congested and toxic. Sun exposure, use of synthetic clothing and bedding, bathing in chlorinated water and exposure to hundreds of chemicals damage the skin. Excessive sympathetic nervous system activity (stress) and unresolved emotions of fear, anger and quilt cause blood to withdraw from the skin causing it to become inactive. An infrared sauna activates the skin by bringing perspiration to the surface and wiping or brushing it away, taking with it dead or dying cells.
- Enhanced sweating. Sweating in a infrared sauna is a by-product of applying heat to the body. The sweating process gently and safely helps eliminate heavy metals and toxic chemicals without putting undue stress on the liver or the kidneys. Sweating will increase dramatically in most people after several sessions in a sauna.
- De-congest the internal organs. Heating the body powerfully shunts blood toward the skin to dissipate heat. This de-congest the internal organs and greatly stimulates circulation. Sinuses, joints and many other tissues benefit significantly.
- Fever therapy. By heating the body internally an artificle fever state is created raising the body temperature and killing bacteria, fungi, parasites and viruses. Many people have a low body temperature which contributes to chronic infections. Comon sites of infections are the sinuses, ears, eyes, bladder, throat and intestines.
- Tumors, radiation poisoning and mutated cells. Hyperthermia also helps kill other types of abnormal cells. Tumors, for example, tolerate heat poorly. Raising the body temperature threatens their existance. Although not a conventional method, infrared saunas are a well researched alternative therapy for cancer. The heat created also disables or kills cells mutated by radiation or damaged by other toxins (i.e., chemotherapy).
- Weight Loss. The body thinks first and foremost about survival. When the body takes in toxins the body's defense mechanism goes into effect and ecapsulates the toxin storing it in the fat cells. When a person decides to loose weight, they need to loose fat cells. However, if the fat cells start to dye off the toxins will be released. If the body is not healthy enough to process and eliminate those toxins the body will refuse to break down the fat cell. The infrared light wave frequency breaks up fat cells, then sweating carries the toxin to the skin and is released. Weight loss still requires monitored nutritional intake and exercise, but the sauna provides a way to help the body maximize the weight loss system through detoxification.
What You Need to Know: Using a Sauna for Health
If you're thinking of using a sauna for health and detoxification, there are a few things you need to know. A person may use a sauna twice a day or twice a week. However, if you are debilitated or have been chronically ill for a period of time, begin with one session a week. Work up to multiple (3-4) times a week. When beginning, people often don't easily sweat. Instead, their bodies overheat and can only tolerate short session in the sauna. But if you persist, you will find that after a handful of sessions (generally 5-10) your body will acclimate and will be able to regulate its temperature and sweating becomes easier and healthier. Before starting your sauna session it is wise to avoid heavy meals up to 2 hours prior to your session. Avoid alcohol or any other intoxicating substance. Drink 8 onces of water prior to entering the sauna. Add a small amount of sea salt or an EmergC packet to an 8 ounce glass of water and drink after your session to replace the minerals and electrolytes you have sweated out of your body. It is preferable to not wear clothing while setting in an infrared sauna. Sit on a towel and have one on the floor so you won't slip. Also, take a hand towel in with you to wipe off the sweat. Relax, breath deeply and meditate, imagining your body being healthy and vibrant, able to do what ever activities you desire it to do. People often wonder how long they should stay in the sauna during a session. It is completely individualized depending on your bodies condition. As a general rule your body temperature should not increase more than four degrees. A little easier way to monitor your body, is that your pulse should not increase more than 50% of your resting pulse rate. So start at 15 minutes if you are ill or in a dibilitated state. If your heart begins to race, sweating stops, or you feel faint, end the session. Generally you want to work up to 30-40 minutes per session.
After the Sauna
After completeing a session in the infrared sauna you need to shower in warm or cool water, not hot. Avoid using soap as most clog your pores or leave a film on the skin that you have just opened up. Use a soft skin brush or a damp loofa to remove any dead cells left on the body. Brushing enhances the cleansing and detoxification effect. Use shampoo and conditioner only if necessary but check to make sure they do not contain chemicals you are trying to detox out of the body. Also skip lotions. If your skin feels dry try using organic coconut oil, which comes as a solid but melts as soon as it comes in contact with your skin. A few people will experience a Healing Reaction when they start using an infrared sauna. Healing reactions are temporary symptoms that occur as toxic substances are eliminated and chronic infections start to heal. Symptoms vary from odors, odd tastes, rashes, periods of fatigue, bowel changes, aches, or pains to headaches. Drinking at least half your body weight in ounces of clean pure water will help to minimize these reactions. Occasionally, people will experience flash backs or have dreams of emotionally disturbing events in their past. This is the healing process of the emotions locked in your body tissues. Temporary anxiety, or other emotional states may occur but should pass within a few to several days. It is important to always have supervision while in an infrared sauna. This is especially true if you have a health condition or if you have used any type of recreational drugs in your past, as flashbacks or weakness may occur.
***Much of the information contained in this post comes from Dr. Lawrence Wilson's research on far infrared saunas.